Science and technology news from Hopkinton Independent School

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Lunar Eclipse: SUCCESS!

23:20 EST

I step out onto the 3rd floor porch of the Red Lion Hotel... The dark, red moon is starting to pass out of the umbra and a bright crescent appears along the bottom.



Here's my photo:



One of those two other visible bodies should be Saturn, but I'm not sure which! Spaceweather has an interactive global map of photos other astronomers took this evening.

This just in, as well:

"ASAT HIT! US officials say the US Navy has successfully hit spy satellite USA 193 with a missile over the Pacific Ocean. " -- from http://www.spaceweather.com

3 comments:

kelsey said...

This photo looks really cool. I saw the eclipse but i didn't see the moon turn red!

Aiden O'Brien said...

Is that your picture? If it is that is really cool. I wish I got to see it.

Marek Bennett said...

Yes, it is my picture! I took it with my cheap old Nikon CoolPix camera (5.1 megapixels, 3x zoom all the way out, "landscape" setting...). I was standing on the hotel balcony in the center of Stockbridge, with lots of light pollution... I couldn't believe the photo came out that clearly!

-- Marek